Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

Alan Bradley
Doubleday Canada 2009

A series of inexplicable events has struck Buckshaw, the decaying English mansion that Flavia's family calls home. For eleven-year-old Flavia, life begins in earnest when murder comes to Buckshaw. A dead bird is found on the doorstep, a postage stamp bizarrely pinned to its beak.

This is the first in a series that Bradley has planned - The Buckshaw Chronicles. I will be on the edge of my seat waiting for the second

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is set in the summer of 1950, following Flavia de Luce as she attempts to solve the mystery of the man who was found dead in her family's cucumber patch in the early hours of the morning

Flavia possesses a love of chemistry, a passion for poisons in particular, a bicycle named Gladys, and a talent for deductive reasoning. (Could our Flavia somehow be the adolescent female version of Sherlock Holmes?)

2 comments:

Nan said...

I cannot wait to read this book!! It sounds just like my cup of tea! Speaking of an "adolescent female version of Sherlock Holmes" you might like the Enola Holmes series by Nancy Springer because Enola is the younger sister of Sherlock and Mycroft. If you go to my blog and type in Nancy Springer, you may read about all four (so far) of them. Wonderful books, I think.

Commonweeder said...

I just heard about this book and I can't wait to get my hands on it.