Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Golden Collar


I haven't read this book yet. I just picked it up at the library last night. The cover was so beautiful. Published in 1984 by Severn House in London. I'd never heard of Edith Cadell and could not find much about her by googling ... bibliographies, but no biographies

I wonder now if the book will be as wonderful as the cover. This is what I discovered by opening the pages at random

He turned and looked at the garden spread below him, glowing in the late May sunshine. There had been a little rain that morning, and drops still glittered on leaves and petals and gave a sheen to the expanse of smooth lawn ...... beyond was a carpet of white narcissi threaded with purple violets.

hmmmm ... not bad

You know that old saying, "don't judge a book by its cover". How often do you choose a book by its cover?

2 comments:

Annie Joy said...

The cover often draws me to a book; then the title, and finally the description inside the book jacket. After that, I have a pretty good feel for "yes or no". I never fail to find something, though (usually several "somethings"). I am happy to have found your blog! Annie Joy

Nan said...

Oh, I love Elizabeth Cadell!! My very favorite is My Dear Aunt Flora, but I've read several others that I also love. You might enjoy Tara's writing about her, since she just discovered her as well.

http://booksandcooks.blogspot.com/
2010/04/spotlight-on-elizabeth-cadell.html

I've gotten pretty strong about book covers. Almost without fail, the beautiful outsides lead to disappointing insides!